APC National leader, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has agreed to out-of-court settlement after accepting an unreserved apology from the Chairman of DAAR Communication PLC, Chief Raymond Dokepsi over the alleged libelous documentary.
Both Tinubu and Dokpesi’s lawyers on Friday morning reportedly presented the terms of settlement reached on January 29, 2016 before the trial court Justice Iyabo Akinkugbe.
The terms of agreement include among other things, a retraction of the broadcast by AIT, an apology by AIT, which should be aired daily for a quarter. The trial court subsequently adopted the terms of settlement.
Below is the letter of retraction:
Retraction and Apology by DAAR Communications Plc to Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu
Further to the terms of settlement in Suit No: ID/196GCMW/2015 between Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Daar Communications Plc filed as a result of the broadcast of a documentary titled ‘Lion of Bourdilon’ and which terms were adopted at the High Court of Lagos State on 5th February, 2016 as the judgment of the court, the defendant, Daar. Communication Plc, hereby retract and apologies to Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu as follows;
1. Daar Communications Plc, acknowledges that Asiwaju Bola Tinubu is an outstanding. Political leader of unblemished character and integrity, as well as a leading public figure and opinion moulder who has made and continues to make immense, colossal and gargantuan contributions to the progress and development of the nation in general. And Lagos State in particular.
2. Daar Communication Plc admits that in airing the said documentary, it had no intention whatsoever to embarrass or diminish the high reputation of Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu which it respects and attests to.
3. Daar Communications Plc hereby makes a public and unequivocal retraction of the said documentary titled ‘Lion of Bourdilon’, which was broadcast on its television station, AIT.
4. Daar Communications Plc hereby tenders unreserved apology to Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu for the broadcast of the documentary on its television station, AIT.
5. Daar Communications Plc prays that Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu will live long to make more enormous contributions to the advancement of our nation, Nigeria, Lagos State and the world at large.